· Brookland will recognize "International Stand Up to Bullying Day"
· Students and faculty will sign anti-bullying pledges during 1st period.
· Students and faculty will unite by wearing black shirts as a symbol against all acts of bullying. Together, we can prevent bullying.
· Students will also participate in Mix It Up Day at Lunch.
Mix It Up at lunch is a national campaign launched by Teaching Tolerance. It encourages students to identify, question and cross social boundaries. “So on one day--October 27 this school year—we ask students to move out of their comfort zones and connect with someone new over lunch. It’s a simple act with profound implications. Studies have shown that interactions across group lines can help reduce prejudice. When students interact with those who are different from them, biases and misconceptions can fall away.”
· There are many ways in which bystanders can prevent bullying and reach out to support the victim.
· Students are encouraged to reach out to a peer and participate in twin day.
· Students and faculty are encouraged to dress alike with someone they don’t know well.
· Victims of bullying are often teased about their differences. We want to celebrate our differences.
· Students and faculty are encouraged to “Team Out” by wearing their favorite team jersey/shirt to celebrate our individuality and uniqueness and show Team Work.
· As a school, we will use our Super Powers to “Walk-It Out” against bullying. Teachers/Students will participate in walking a lap around the track to show our commitment to making Brookland Middle School a Bully Free Zone.
· The “Walk-It” Out Activity will take place during 5th period and a schedule will be given to each teacher.