Review the Course Information Sheet and The Planning Guide for Students and Parents, 2016-2017. Course descriptions can be found in the guide. The Planning Guide is also available online.
- Teachers will make recommendations for the next school year in PowerSchool (all academic classes).
- Parents will be required to create a login using their student’s ID number (similar to ZippSlip) to access the parent portal in PowerSchool.
- Once successfully logged into PowerSchool, parents will be expected to accept the recommended courses (Math, English, Science, & Social Studies) and choose elective courses through the parent portal.
- Directions for accessing the parent portal will be made available closer to the parent window. A video and handout will be placed in Tech Tips for easy access. Andy Jenks will make a phone call to inform you of the details.
First Things First
Please consider the following in preparing your schedule:
- Current academic performance
- Academic ability
- Level of interest
- Out-of-school commitments; time management skills
- Advanced/Accelerated courses are based on the following guidelines, with the exception of math:
- An “A” or “B” in academic performance, in the current year;
- A score of 75th percentile or higher on a recent national standardized test;
- Teacher recommendations based on your desire to be challenged academically, ability to adjust easily to change, ability to think and verbalize critically;
- Specific work characteristics are displayed wherein you demonstrate the ability to problem solve, grasp complex concepts, work independently, write independently, be self-directed and read for pleasure.
Understanding Instructional Coding Some course numbers are followed by a letter (ex. 1109V). The letters are used to designate the following:
I – Collaborative classes (used for students with IEP’s) X – ESL level 2
E – Self-contained classes (used for students with IEP’s) Y – ESL level 3
K – 6th grade Z – ESL level 4
L – 7th grade G – First semester
M - 8th grade H – Second semester
V – Advanced class
MS – Middle School